Twelve Quick & Healthy Breakfasts
Gotta get out the door fast in the morning? First of all, slow down and enjoy the fact that you’re alive …then, consider these quick and healthy choices for breakfast.
- Single-serving bowls of whole-grain cereal are packed with vitamins and minerals.
- Pair string cheese with whole wheat crackers.
- Hard-boil several eggs to have on hand for busy mornings.
- Small cartons of low-fat yogurt are a good combination of carbohydrates and protein.
- Whole-grain English muffins can serve as a base for a breakfast sandwich. Spread on peanut butter, a source of satisfying protein and heart-healthy fats.
- Make breakfast wraps with whole wheat tortillas; roll in lean protein, such as turkey and low-fat cheese, scrambled eggs with diced peppers and onions, or peanut butter and bananas.
- Keep low-fat cheese slices on hand for breakfast sandwiches.
- Single-serving cartons of low-fat, low-sodium cottage cheese are a good source of protein; stir in berries or fruit for fiber.
- Top whole wheat toaster waffles with a tablespoon of peanut butter and/or fruit preserves.
- Try soy or lean turkey sausage patties (you can eat them alone or put them in a breakfast wrap or sandwich).
- Stir a tablespoon or two of fruit preserves or chopped dried fruit into plain instant oatmeal to add a touch of sweetness.
- Smoothies are quick and easy. Blend up your favorite vegetables and fruits in a Magic Bullet blender and head out the door with breakfast in hand.